Website Norfolk Southern
Location: Muscle Shoals, AL, US, 35661 Muscle Shoals, AL, US, 35661
Company: Norfolk Southern Corp.
Requisition 36576: Mechanical Laborer – Sheffield, AL 2023
Service and clean locomotives, transport supplies between work and storage sites, and perform a variety of support and clean-up activities in locomotive and car repair areas.
- Fueling locomotives
- Check and replenishing oil level of locomotives
- Cleaning cabs of locomotives, including restroom facilities
- Sanding locomotives
- Operate forklifts and other equipment
- Operate various vehicles, maybe required to obtain CDL for operation of Locomotive Service truck.
- May be required to operate locomotives within shop limits
- Washing locomotives
- Clean and maintain related railroad facilities
- Complete other tasks as needed to ensure the proper and safe functioning of the locomotive
- A Mechanical Shop Laborers holds a safety sensitive position in which he/she must maintain alertness and concentration while at work. Safety sensitive tasks may include:
- Constantly working around heavy, moving, potentially hazardous locomotive engines.
- Frequently climbing on/off locomotives inside and outside the shop in all weather conditions.
- Operating and moving a locomotive engine (some of these movements may fall under the Hours-of-Service act).
- Work safely to prevent on the job accidents and injuries.
- Wear protective equipment such as hard hat, hearing protection, or safety-toe boots.
- Complete annual training and pass safety rules examinations.
- Must pass all required assessments.
- Must pass a background screening.
- Must pass a post-offer medical examination, including a drug test.
- This position is governed by a union position and membership is required.
- Understand oral and written communication
- Problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Time Management
- Soft computer skills
- Mechanical aptitude
- Ability to obtain a license (Locomotive Service Engineer) through NS-provided training.
- High school diploma or GED
- 18 years of age or older
- Valid Driver’s License
- Veterans and transitioning service members are encouraged to apply. Military roles that often transition well to this position (but not limited to): 2T3X1, AE, AMT, 2141, 88U.
Mechanical Laborers will undergo 1 week of Mechanical Safety Orientation during their first week of employment at McDonough, GA. Norfolk Southern will pay reimburse travel and pay for lodging as required per union agreement.
Predecessor Jobs: None
Future Jobs: Freight Car Repairer, Machinist (Locomotive Diesel Engine Mechanic), Locomotive Electrician
Rate of Pay
- 1st year rate: $23.39 (75% of full rate)
- 2nd year rate: $24.94 (80% of full rate)
- 3rd year rate: $31.18 (100% of full rate)
- Company Benefits – Eligible 1st day of second month after hire
- 80/20 plan for employee, spouse, and eligible dependents
- Union Benefits
- Medical (Managed or 85/15 Plan)
- $20K Life Insurance
- 401 (K) First Day of Employment
- After 1st year of service: Eligible for Dental / Vision
Working hours will include shift work over all 3 shifts, including nights, weekends, and holidays. Shifts are assigned/awarded by seniority. The work environment is a shop and outdoor work.
Norfolk Southern Corporation (NYSE: NSC) is a Fortune 300 organization and one of the nation’s premier transportation companies. Its Norfolk Southern Railway Company subsidiary operates approximately 19,500 route miles in 22 states and the District of Columbia, serves every major container port in the eastern United States, and provides efficient connections to other rail carriers. Norfolk Southern is a major transporter of industrial products, including chemicals, agriculture, and metals and construction materials. In addition, the railroad operates the most extensive intermodal network in the East and is a principal carrier of coal, automobiles, and automotive parts.
At Norfolk Southern, we believe in celebrating our individuality. By leveraging the unique backgrounds and viewpoints of our employees, we can create a culture of innovation, respect, and inclusion. We know that employees thrive in a workplace where differing viewpoints, ideas, and experiences are freely shared and valued. As such, we encourage all employees to contribute their distinctive skills and capabilities to our organization.
Equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, and gender identity. Together, we power progress.